Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Swans and Snow

Well, it finally snowed around here. And for whatever reason, the waterfowl came back. The Canada geese probably never left, but I don't recall seeing so many ducks recently. Most noticeable, though, are the swans.

I had a perfect opportunity to decide which is whiter, snow or swan. I observed them very carefully, as I walked to and from the store. My final verdict was:

Snow is cold. The essence of its brightness is cold, and the sharpness with which it strikes the eye. Swans, on the other hand, are alive. That gives their color a sort of depth, solidity, which seems to me to be a different sort of brightness. As if you can perceive their body heat.

All of these birds appear to enjoy hanging out in the cold water, or even sitting on the ice. It would not suit me at all.

No comments: