Friday, January 11, 2008

Surprises in Tea

Today's surprise: Lipton. Who knew?

I just tried Lipton's herbal "Ginger Twist" tea and I like it a lot. The first three ingredients* are orange peel, ginger root and coriander, which is quite unusual but tasty. The remaining ingredients are nice too.

Good herbal tea blends are hard to find. It seems like lots of companies put in too much of the wrong ingredient -- cinnamon, for example, which overwhelms all other flavors. Or hibiscus, which I have come to dislike. It's all right in small doses, but some teas overdo it. I stopped drinking most Celestial Seasonings tea for that reason.

The London Fruit and Herb Company makes the best herbal teas I've ever had, but they don't seem to be available in stores around here. This Lipton was a very pleasant surprise.

*In case you didn't know, ingredients are listed in order by amount -- ie, if the first ingredient is "salt" that means your snack food contains more salt than anything else. A friend of mine persistently declines to believe me about this, but it's true.

No comments: