Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Those Who Died for Us

1)

The animals who died to feed us.
It's dead. You're alive.
Is that fair? No.
So you do what you can,
towards a debt that can never be repaid.

2)

The people who died -
"for us," some say.
"for revenge," some say.
That's not as clear. It's not like food.

I've never looked into the face of a human being
(unlike an animal)
and understood that this person was dying for me.
But that's what I've been told.

3)

To the people who died -
for something,
for nothing.

You went to that place
where people die
and you died.

It's a debt that can never be repaid.

At least, speak their names.
At least say, it is not fair.
Death is not justice.

4)

To say, "Never again,"
is like trying to repay a debt that can never be repaid.
It's not possible.

But I say: "Never again."
Not for me.




Note: see also "Why I Became a Vegetarian."

No comments: